Preventing Medical Oxygen Fires

When using medical oxygen, the amount of oxygen in the air, furniture, clothing, hair, and bedding can increase. This means there is a higher risk of both fires and burns because it is easier for a fire to start and spread.

Safety Tips


  • Never smoke in a home where medical oxygen is used.
  • Post "No Smoking" signs inside and outside your home to remind residents and guests not to smoke.
  • Never use a candle, match, lighter, or other open flame.
  • Never use a fireplace, stove, or other equipment fueled by gas, kerosene, wood, or coal.
  • Do not allow children to use toys that spark.
  • Keep oil, grease, and similar petroleum-based products away from oxygen valves. They can cause a spontaneous explosion.